ABout LSC

A not-for-profit sports complex for the local community and beyond

We are proud to support the local community through community sports, events and services in Bristol.

The story of its Development ~ 1948 – 2019

A brief history

After the Second World War there was a dearth of sports pitches in the Bristol area and in 1948, the Bristol & District Rugby Football Combination (B&DRFC) purchased 16 acres of land in South Gloucestershire on the border with Bristol City Council (BCC) for the use of member Clubs. A Charitable Trust (301694) was formed with the Objective “..physical training & recreation…. ”.

Access to the B&DRFC pitches was from Bonnington Walk through the BCC Sports pitches where Bishopston RFC had played since 1966. They subsequently built a Clubhouse on B&DRFC land.

By the early 2000’s the number of Adult Rugby games was reducing and the pitches underutilised. The Changing Rooms on both the B&DRFC & BCC land were in urgent need of modernising & neither had funds to upgrade. The Objectives of the old Trust were not being met. Subsequently, in 2010, a new Working Group was formed to create new opportunities. This Working Group became The Lockleaze Sports Centre Trust, and has since become a prevalent location in Bristol for changing lives through sport. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Users in the period 1950 – 2000’s were:

  • Broad Plain RFC 1953 – 1993 – moved to Brislington;
  • Old Cathedralians RFC 1953 – disbanded 1985
  • Ashley Down Old Boys 1958 – 2017 moved to the LSC;
  • Old Colstonians & Bristol Constabulary briefly in the 1950’s;
  • Shaftesbury FC 2006 – moved to the LSC
  • Other users were Fairfield School and many other Sports Clubs.

the development of lsc – start to finish.

2010 – a Working Group (B&DRFC, BCC, SGC, UWE & Alder King) was formed to look at options for the BCC & B&DRFC playing fields.

2013 –  The Lockleaze Sports Centre Trust (8824435) was formed with objectives: “..to promote participation in sport and other physical activities ..”

2014 – a Contract with Redrow Homes for sale of half of Combination land was signed. This finance was the major source of funds for the new facility

2016 – Planning was approved & work on the Facility commenced under contracts from BCC, with the Jones Building Group responsible for the buildings and M.J.Church for the pitches & outworks. The University of the West of England (UWE), in need of sporting facilities joined the project; funding extra changing rooms and more car parking spaces.

2017 – the Rugby All-weather pitch was completed and opened by Mayor Marvin Rees

2018 – Practical Completion was achieved and facility handed over to Bristol City Council.

2019 – Bristol City Council handed over management to the Lockleaze Sports Centre Ltd and Facility became fully operational

 

WHich leaves us with the centre we have today!

the terrace bar

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Phone

0117 456 8955

Advertise with us

Address

Off Bonnington Walk, Lockleaze, Bristol, BS7 9XF

Registered Business Number:

11156638

Registered Charity Number:

8824435

To learn more about what we do and our latest news.

Subscribe